[New Racers] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: http://forums.kartrider.nexon.net/discussion/4/code-of-conduct

Item Mode needs rebalancing

ChronoAtogChronoAtog
KartRider: Drift Rep: 440
edited 4:29PM January 25, 2023 in Gameplay Discussion
The issue with the current items right now is they hit way too damn hard if we compare this to most kart games, most offensive power ups hit way too hard.

1. UFO, instantly targets the person in 1st needing a specific item to counter.
THIS IS THE MOST balanced item, at worst this item has ever sent me to 1->2nd or 3rd, unless it was a tight pack. Even then I'm easily back in the race. This games BLUE SHELL hits the player the lightest in comparison to most offensive items. I feel this should be the base power of how hard items should hit a player. But right now it's the WEAKEST of them all.

2. Homing Water Balloon or Missile, instantly takes them out, mashing the B or ADADADA makes it go from 2 seconds to 1.5.
This is the most powerful item, yes shields exist but those only become uncommon in 2nd, and common in 1st. The big issue is it's generally powerful enough to take a player from 1st to 8th, and getting hit while in 3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th is just painful. Because if it takes 1st to 8th, getting hit by it just instantly sends you to the back or well behind. You can boost BUT that only gets you back to 100 mph after 1.5-2 seconds of not boosting

3. Water Balloon, easily avoidable but feels way too punishing to get hit by it. Thing takes out you out for 2-3 seconds.
Getting hit by this will instantly put you in the back, but the issue is the people needing to avoid this are hugging the side. But to balance it to be more useful... would mean subjecting people into getting hit by it and instantly want to be take out of the race, even if you're in the lead it can just spawn on you with no warning. While I feel this is one of the items that should hit hard, it feels like it should hit like the current homing items, and lesser based off position.

4. Barricade
Another actually good item 90% of the item, as it will force 1st to swerve and lose speed or get a full to 0 speed drop. My only issue is the number times I've had them spawn on me or in front of me on a turn. Honestly just needs a small touch up on it's spawn placement on turns (mostly seems 90 degree turns are the worst offender of spawning on the person in 1st

5. Storm, Not working as intended
So remember how I said 1st generally will have a double stack of shields, it's pretty much guaranteed that storm wont hit 1st, becoming this reverso blue shell as it will generally make a bigger gap between 1st, or if 2nd has a shield all it does is send 8th to 3rd or 2nd, while 1st and 2nd will have a bigger gap in between them.

Edit:
6. Banana, finally running into these- these feel like the perfect amount of slow down, I've ran into one getting into first place and just slapped me down to 3rd and kept most my acceleration and forward momentum.
SparkleXTheHeavieKiwieThePencilWielder
  1. Item power level9 votes
    1. Fine as is, small touch ups.
       22% (2 votes)
    2. Items hit too hard, should de-accelerate instead of full stop like the ufo
       78% (7 votes)

Comments

• SparkleXSparkleX
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 450
    Seriously devs, Item mode is a sh*t show at the moment. It's more of a luck thing, than skill of the player or knowledge of each item. Not just your own luck but also, you must be lucky that the people behind you don't get a lot of attack items. A LOT of things must be JUST in the right ORDER for you to be able to win a race!
    You guys really need to re-balance the amount of missiles, water wisps or space ships other racers might get in the last few turns of the last lap of each race. And this re-balancing needs to be different for SOLO, DUO or SQUAD modes. Look at the complaints from so many on this forum AND on Google Play Store. Everyone feels the same way about this game. It just feels OFF somehow.
    Seriously, if Nexon doesn't take gameplay feedback on board and try to rectify these issues BEFORE console launch, this game is gonna be DEAD ON ARRIVAL. And as we all know from the history of game launches, once a live-service game gets a bad reputation in the first few weeks of release, it is REALLY hard to bring back a strong player base to the game. Then, even hardcore fans will only have bots to play with, no real players to compete with. Amd eventually people will just desert this game. I hope the community managers are checking the forums periodically and passing on the feedback to the devs.
  • TheHeavieKiwieTheHeavieKiwie
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 770
    If you ask me, yeah I agree slowness can be less fatal compared to a complete stop.
    But at the same time, I must say the items should be unique from each other and have different effects. Basically what I'm saying is like for the Rocket, the effects can be changed to not being able to steer the kart. (Basically it goes well with the current animation as the driver flies off the kart) It shouldn't have any impactful slowness like the UFO but disabling effects like nitro, draft and magnet (Basically all speed items) on the racer hit should
    be enough for the Rocket.

As for the homing balloon, it is perfect to have slowness instead of stopping the kart and additionally it can disable drifting or like reduce how much you can steer the kart to give the item a sticky feel to it

I have nothing much in mind for throwing balloon but it shouldn't fall only in the middle like you mentioned. I think maybe just manually aiming the the item depending on the kart's direction will do and also a circle marking showing a preview of where the balloon lands to assist when aiming then. Thus according to the adjustment I mentioned, this item will aiming phase and a firing phase so two taps to activate instead of one. Thought I'd just mention it.

Barricade should also have a similar adjustment. Barricade can hit ourselves especially when we are around the first place. To avoid this, there should be a preview of where the Barricade is placed to better assist us in predicting where they land. Like a blue hologram of the Barricade. Again this item should also have an aiming phase and an activating phase in other words, two taps or press.

This is the most important part of my suggestion. There should definitely be a set duration of invincibility after getting hit by an item. Even getting hit by 2 UFO can be fatal. It will slow you down enough to not make a proper jump (if a jump is needed to make in any map) and potentially making you fall off the map which is worse than getting hit by items.

So those are my thoughts for now. I would definitely like to know which of the following you all agree and disagree.
  • Blaues_DingBlaues_Ding
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 1,255
    Yes, balancing in item mode is horrible.
    Skills (incl. track knowlege and using/avoidig items at wise track positions) don't count anymore. Is't more like throwing a coin to win or to loose.
    Players should get hit once at a time only incl. a second of invincibility.

We need old items back...
    The devil (switched controls, now incl. smartphones just switched steering), cloud (hide player and track) and 1st-missle need to come back.
    The lightning should hit all players in front of the user only, even in team modes. But it should have less effect (don't stop karts, but maybe block steering for a short time)
    SparkleXTheHeavieKiwie
  • ThePencilWielderThePencilWielder
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 430
    I agree that the water wisp and the rocket launcher both need balanced. The other items are okay but those two are incredibly overpowered.

Also wanted to note that a short invincibility effect after getting hit with an item would be awesome. I got hit with a UFO, rocket, and 2 water wisps just before crossing the finish line and ended in last place.
  • dadnayadadnaya
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 405
    Nerf missiles! Easy to get a couple in a row, and they will easily send you from first to last place.

I also think that we need more skill based items like green/red shells in Mario Kart. You can dodge if you know what you're doing, and you also need to aim properly, or save it for protection... Versatile.

Instead of all the auto homing items