[New Racers] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: http://forums.kartrider.nexon.net/discussion/4/code-of-conduct

Kartrider: Drift has an identity problem

iMapleiMaple
KartRider: Drift Rep: 240
in Gameplay Discussion
Context, I played OG KR as a child and I've been playing KRD for about two weeks. Really liking the game so far, but instead of talking about the usual content/speed/ping gripes I wanted to talk about a worry I developed while playing with a friend:

TL;DR: Kartrider: Drift is still too difficult to get into, and I fear it will fail to attract a large playerbase.

A Casual Friend's Tale

From the presentation, streamlined UI, international release, cross-platform play, to the monetization targeting a mass of users rather than a few whales - Kartrider: Drift to me seems like it wants to have mass appeal and bring in casual players.

But drifting properly, the bread and butter of Kartrider, is genuinely hard to learn. I showed this game to my friend who plays Mario Kart and Forza casually, and seeing him fight the controls and physics really made me think about the new player experience.

He faceplanted into walls, DNF'd a couple times, and before he quit he did one thing: He drifted less. Why risk colliding with a wall and coming to a halt? Just drive around it and settle with 5th place.

Now, this may produce a chuckle in some of us, but truth be told, I can't fault him for it. Drifting in Kartrider is extremely finnicky and that letting go of shift does not correlate to ending a drift while pressing it for 1/10th of a second too long will make you oversteer is not very intuitive - it's a relic from 2004.

And that's a problem, because Kartrider without proper drifting is a mediocre and slow kart racer.

Modern Times

I'm playing this today because of nostalgia. And almost two decades ago, I put in the time and effort to learn the mechanics because it was the only game I could play as a kid with a crap PC and no money. But now as an adult? If nostalgia and muscle memory weren't factors, I probably would've dropped it after a few rounds.

In 2023, we have less free time coupled with more distractions than ever, and if faced with unrewarding gameplay until you get good, most of us just go play a different game.

Kartrider without boosters is slow, especially at this default speed. To get more nitro, you first need to drift well consistently, which is actually hard.

Kartrider's drifting is seriously punishing. Drift improperly and it actually slows you down. Touch a wall and you get stuck, rammed and more, risking a DNF. If you're a beginner, this sucks. In no other casual racing/kart game is basic drifting this difficult.

Then you'll need to use the following techniques eventually:

- Short-Full Drifting
- Snaking
- Cutting
- New Cutting
- Cut Charging
- Tap-Drifting (Maybe)

As someone who uses all these, I have to honestly say that other than cut charging, none of these mechanics are intuitive. I'm not really drifting better than a beginner, I'm drifting differently from a beginner. Like you have to go out of your way to learn them to get better.

This leads to an even bigger skill gap between beginners and pros, and all of the above inconveniences are worse on mobile/gamepad, where it's actually uncomfortable to attempt. (Give it a shot!)

And this is where I really, really feel Nexon and Nitro Studio shot themselves in the foot making Drift a reboot of the original rather than branching out with new driving mechanics to make the game more accessible. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kartrider. But Kartrider's original 2004 jank controls do not have mass appeal. The skill floor is too damn high. You need to be good at the game to reach that sense of speed where the game becomes fun. You cannot expect new players to "git gud" to have fun. They will simply play another game where they get to have fun before they "git gud".

OG Kartrider had the perennial problem of high-level players consistently, and absolutely demolishing new and intermediate players in speed mode, to the point where Nexon repeatedly removed advanced techiques through patches. We're still facing the same situation in Drift.

But now you're also going up against people who've played this for almost two decades, making this skill gap issue a problem from day 1.

Different Tastes

My main point is this: I think the default controls make for a poor casual experience. It's way too late to overhaul them. What do?

I think the game would benefit from a variety of karts that handle differently, even more than the original or Rush+. As it stands, either you like the exact way Kartrider plays, or you don't. Instead, different kart bodies could have differing handling characteristics with the default kart being less rigid and more forgiving with drifts, or upgrades allowing players to make builds that are easier to handle rather than just providing flat stat upgrades. Kart tires could have different grip profiles, etc.

Imagine a kart that gains nitro a bit faster by just driving to compensate for someone snaking down a straight. Or a kart that slows down less when you collide with walls. Or a kart that is more controllabe during drifts. Anything to make the driving experience more forgiving, the physics less punishing, and players feel like they're going faster.

Rather than relying on drift assist and steering assists which take away the fun parts, give beginners a beginner kart that makes it easier for them to have fun themselves and feel fast. I'd never argue to remove the main controls, but I would argue to give new players an alternative to them.

For example, there's plenty of Rush+ players complaining about the handling in Drift - why not give them a kart that feels closer to Rush+? Why not make an easy to obtain kart that feels closer to a medium build in Mario Kart and start out players in that?

I really think equalizing all karts and not being P2W are two separate things - you can have unique characteristics as long as objectively better karts and parts are easily obtainable by all players and not locked behind a paywall.

There's countless posts about people hating how karts handle and drift, the very core of this game. As it stands, most of these people will quit because there is nothing else they can do.

Onboarding

Another point I'd like to highlight is the onboarding experience, which really has to improve.

Currently, you are greeted with a mandatory tutorial at the start. It teaches you how to accelerate, steer and drift and use items.

After this, you're on your own. Get destroyed in multiplayer or try your hand at licenses.

I think this is a really poor approach. Learning the game on empty, sectioned off training tracks isn't fun. Learning by racing is fun.

This is where a story mode where you get introduced to the different characters and maps while slowly improving your skills through dueling harder and harder opponents would be great. You had this in the original!

The licenses meanwhile could be repurposed to actually teach in-game techniques instead of reaching an arbitrary finish line by an arbitrary time limit, similar to Rush+. Like I mentioned before, advanced drifting techniques are not intuitive and cannot be learned naturally.

Speaking of licenses though, here's a couple suggestions:

- Cut bad licenses. There's a license course teaching you to slow down and drive around a U-Turn. What?
- Cut excess licenses. The difference between "Basics" and "Tests" is so abstract and can just be combined.
- Split item mode challenges and speed mode challenges. There's a risk of information overload and just plain tedium having all of them grouped together.
- Repeat: If Nitro Studio insists that the current drifting techniques are required to do well in speed mode, they have to explicitly teach them here. Casual players do not look up YouTube videos and practice in time attack. They get destroyed by someone using them and quit after saying "Screw that".

Beyond this, if Nitro Studio insists that the current skill gap must be this severe, they must improve matchmaking. If 2/3 of the lobby DNF's, there's a problem. If this happens repeatedly, you bleed players. I watched several beginners play this. Few things are more frustrating and demoralizing than not even getting to finish the race.

The beginner square and circle tracks are also really poor to introduce the game with. They're boring because they're slow, feature too many straights. and do not help players improve. I would advocate for them to be replaced by B2 tracks. They're considerably more interesting, feature different turn types to practice, while featuring less of those mean, tight corner sections that get you stuck and lead to a DNF.

The day 1 retention, beyond all the other parts, needs to be looked at. If new players are not having fun, get bored or get frustrated in the first hour of play, they will quit and never come back. And if the player count and award completion stats are anything to go by, Drift does an abysmal job at hooking players.

Punishment Design

I also want to take a moment to talk about a general design philosophy that concerns me. And that is punishment design.

As the name implies, this refers to mechanics that mainly exist to punish the player.

The fact that wall collision physics cripple your momentum and have the potential to completely wreck your race instead of gently bouncing you off or make you slide along like in any other casual kart racer does not reward good play. It punishes bad play.

The fact that you get DNF'd if you don't reach the finish line within 10 seconds of 1st place instead of a more generous time or placement limit does not reward good play. It punishes bad play.

The fact that you had drift assist forced on you because you collided with one too many walls in the tutorial and had to turn it off by clearing B1 did not reward good play. It punished bad play.

You know who plays bad? Beginners. Why would you punish them and make them feel bad instead of blasting them with moments that make them feel good?

Remember losing XP or losing your save for dying in RPGs? Remember getting a bad end because you made one arbitrary dialog choice? Remember having to sit out the entire rest of the match if you got eliminated early?

Games moved away from this because it is an outdated practice. Players today no longer have the patience to put up with this. What worked in 2004 no longer works in 2023. I really, really hope NS modernizes their design approach.

At the end of the day, except for kart handling, none of these issues are dealbreakers for casual players on their own. But they're small frustrations, that when added up, result in a poor experience. And in the absence of rewarding moments, it sours opinions on the game.

Item Mode

I spent a lot of time talking about speed mode, because I think it's Kartrider's most unique aspect and I'd hate it to become the "hardcore" only mode again. But let's talk about item mode too.

It's fun for a few rounds, but frankly put, it needs improvement. The skill ceiling is much lower due to a stark lack of counterplay to many items outside of the shield. There is less room for strategizing item use, building and maintaining leads. Often, the results come down to which 2 items you hold on the last turn before the finish line.

In addition, it's just a frustrating experience when you come to a halt this frequently and exacerbates the problem of the game feeling slow. At this stage, it's an inferior version of Mario Kart which I think is primarily caused due to the frequency of item drops, the items themselves, and the roll chance of items based on the current position resulting in less agency for the player. The boring maps don't help either.

There's tons of design approaches to change this, but I wonder if NS actually wants to change it. According to the director, item mode is a mode that "can be enjoyed without any skills" and "victory can change with just one missile" and primarily aimed at foreigners/beginners. I really, really think this is an amateurish and misguided attempt at creating a casual-friendly mode while giving up on the other half of the game.

Casual-friendly does not mean the absence of skill expression, it's where the barrier to entry to have fun is very low. But it still needs to have depth and room to grow to it, otherwise it becomes a throwaway game mode where there is no point to play it repeatedly outside of a party setting. It's the difference between Gang Beasts and Smash Bros.

Item mode really has potential, but has to have something to stand on its own two feet other than the fact that Mario Kart does not exist on PC/PS4/XBox yet.

Closing Thoughts

I love this game and this franchise, and I'd like nothing more than seeing Kartrider: Drift succeed.

If NS wanted to make me and most other hardcore players happy, they'd increase the speed/nitro gain/boost duration, restore old techniques, improve ping issues, add a ranked mode, add global chat, remove the daily currency cap, add more things to grind for, add more maps and call it a day. Basically make it Kartrider 2 and accept it will be a niche game. (Rip AirRider)

But they did not and will not just accommodate hardcore fans, because it wants Kartrider to be casual-friendly this time and appeal to a wide audience and be enjoyed by anyone, anywhere, anytime.

And yet, Kartrider, at this stage, does not fall in that category. Its mechanics are too punishing, the onboarding is poor, the skill floor is too high, social and solo content is lacking. Who exactly is this for? Who is supposed to get excited at this?

I am really disappointed that this is the state it's about to global launch in. They had almost two decades of successes and failures to look back on. This game has been in development for a long time. It has done open testing for a long time. They had a clean slate to make a more accessible experience, or be laser-focused on making a 100% hardcore competitive sequel with esports and ranked in mind only.

But it seems like they mostly reskinned the original and are hoping it succeeds in ways the original did not just because it's cross-platform, and I fear it will end up exactly like the original: Casual players being driven away until a only small group of elite players remain. But you can't monetize a handful of players with a season pass, and I think we know where that'll go.

I remain cautiously optimistic, but there has to be a conscious effort to recognize the situation and a conscious drive in any one direction from the developers. If you try to please everyone with what you currently have, you will please no one.

Fingers crossed, Nitro Studio!

(Originally wrote and posted this in Korean after watching Reverse's 3 part series which is really on point. In any case, sentence structure may be a bit off.)

HypocraticdadnayaBazzicons

Comments

• HypocraticHypocratic
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 800
    I think this is a pretty well rounded and informed take on the current situations with KRD. Although, as someone who is new to the franchise, I have a few things to say.
    Rather than relying on drift assist and steering assists which take away the fun parts, give beginners a beginner kart that makes it easier for them to have fun themselves and feel fast.
    If this is a temporary kart, then I don't see too much of an issue. Otherwise, everyone would just use the beginner kart in the same way that many people are using the Ace and Minecart in speed mode. IMO, a better solution would be to just add a beginner mode where only new players have access to it until a certain level or bar is reached.
    I really think equalizing all karts and not being P2W are two separate things - you can have unique characteristics as long as objectively better karts and parts are easily obtainable by all players and not locked behind a paywall.
    This I can agree with, however only with parts. To me at least, it makes sense to keep the upgrade system that they're coming out with for karts so that the game doesn't face the issue of seeing the same karts in every race.
    There's countless posts about people hating how karts handle and drift, the very core of this game. As it stands, most of these people will quit because there is nothing else they can do.
    Not much for me to say except that I hope the upgrades coming out later get rid of the slower feel this game has.
    The licenses meanwhile could be repurposed to actually teach in-game techniques instead of reaching an arbitrary finish line by an arbitrary time limit, similar to Rush+. Like I mentioned before, advanced drifting techniques are not intuitive and cannot be learned naturally.
    I agree with this and the rest of the section. It's very frustrating having to resort to outside sources to learn advanced drifting techniques.
    You know who plays bad? Beginners. Why would you punish them and make them feel bad instead of blasting them with moments that make them feel good?
    Again, not much I disagree with in this section. If someone is far ahead in speed mode, the only way for you to really catch up is if they mess up instead of you drifting better.

I don't have anything to say about item mode since I don't care much about it. All in all, a very good post. Many thanks for the interesting read!
  • iMapleiMaple
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 240
    If this is a temporary kart, then I don't see too much of an issue. Otherwise, everyone would just use the beginner kart in the same way that many people are using the Ace and Minecart in speed mode. IMO, a better solution would be to just add a beginner mode where only new players have access to it until a certain level or bar is reached.

It'd be a large balancing task to offer alternatives to the current driving system for sure and it'd have to be something that isn't more competitive than other karts. A beginner mode could also be helpful - what I'm looking for is a fun way for beginners to learn the game in a less frustrating environment while not developing bad habits that will only make it harder to improve later on, like with drift/steering assist.
    This I can agree with, however only with parts. To me at least, it makes sense to keep the upgrade system that they're coming out with for karts so that the game doesn't face the issue of seeing the same karts in every race.

Fair point, I think that players can choose to drive any kart that they visually like is a strong point of this game. I went with differing kart stats because in the other Kart games you can pretty much max out every stat category so the upgrade system is just a gating mechanism/money sink rather than a customization feature. We'll have to see how it turns out.
    Again, not much I disagree with in this section. If someone is far ahead in speed mode, the only way for you to really catch up is if they mess up instead of you drifting better.

In the original, you received a minor speed increase the further away you were from 1st place, and there's also the draft/slipstream feature. I'd personally hope to see more catch-up mechanisms added, but it will ultimately be a balancing job between what feels fun and fair to play and entertaining to watch from an esports perspective.

To your second point, I think it's important it's addressed one way or the other. A beginner who thinks they're doing well and driving perfect lines and drifting cleanly in corners will never catch up to someone using drifting techniques to generate 2-3 times the nitro. The skill gap in this situation is massive, which in itself is not a problem for a competitive game mode. The problem is that the pro is not only doing the same thing as the beginner but better, but does additional things differently - drifting techniques in this instance.

In most other games, if someone beats you, it was because they were faster, more accurate, or smarter about the thing you were both doing. But in Kartrider, the beginner loses because they were playing Trackmania while the pro was playing Street Fighter. So instead of going "Ah, that's how I get better" the beginner has to look up YouTube videos with keyboard overlays to see how they need to play differently. For hardcore players with a competitive spirit this isn't a problem, it's par for the course to become the best. But it greatly expands the basic rules you need to know to do well and increases the barrier to entry, which just fundamentally clashes with the idea of making this game accessible to a wider audience.

Just for context since you're new to the franchise, after the next big games came out in Korea that drew the general/casual playerbase away, those who stayed with OG Kartrider became more and more competitive and it was generally accepted that it was a hardcore game (even item mode as unwritten rules came into effect) with a healthy esports following, so it was much closer to Starcraft than it was to Mario Kart. This post would've been answered with "duh, of course it's not for casuals noob" had I posted it in the Korean Kartrider forums a few years ago. I made this post because Drift finds itself in the odd position of frustrating established players who feel the game is coddling casuals and beginners at their expense (low speed, boring maps, currency cap), while casual players are voicing the same complaints that they had over a decade ago when the game started becoming too competitive in their eyes (game is too hard, pros are destroying us, we don't even get to finish races). I'm strongly biased towards streamlining the game and saw an opportunity with Drift to do just that hence writing all this, but the developers are facing some tough decisions either way.
    Hypocratic
  • dadnayadadnaya
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 405
    Interesting post, thanks for posting it. I think it's a good overview of the game.

Personally, as a beginner and a total new player to the franchise, I don't exactly mind learning the higher level techniques, but I did wish there would be better guides for that. Currently mostly only DonutKR does these in English and most of the guides are in Korean which don't help.

The most annoying me for me is definitely wall collision. I got used to the unique drifting system, but way too many times I collided into a wall the wrong way which cost me the race. Going from first to last place because of one mistake is very much not fun.

The item mode also pretty much sucks, because of the... "niche" -ness of items. You have the UFO item... And then an entire item for cancelling a UFO. So you're pretty much wasting item grab if you get it, as shield is much more valuable. I'd also love to see more items that require more skill than just sending them, and having more creative ways to defend or recover from a missile. Currently the strongest items just auto lock and it's either you have a shield or bust. See Mario Kart with the various uses of shells, and the green shell snipes, or the red shells that you can actually dodge despite "locking".

I definitely agree on the track locking problem. If you look over at the Steam Reviews for example, you have people who complain that the game is too boring since it's all just "square tracks", but it's not said clearly enough that you have to do licenses to unlock these, and honestly, many people wouldn't want to do a "one hour tutorial" clearing all licenses just to play the actual game. So now you have tons of players in 1* tracks, and people like me who are bored of them turn them off and get slow queues. While those who play the 1* quit quickly because they think that's all the game has to offer. No one wins. Remove the track locking.

Honestly, if they market the game well in the west with season 1 release and are able to gather a playerbase, there will be enough noobs like me to play against, so I won't be matched with these pros who do all the special tricks. So I could learn these tricks to climb the ladder and become better, and get matched with better players, but even with basic drifting skills and maybe a cool trick here and there I'll be able to do fine, as I'd be playing against people my level. Not very fun going against people who will wiggle from left to right (Snake I believe it was called?) while lagging everywhere and randomly teleporting, pushing me to hell and destroying my speed.

Talking about matchmaking, there seems to be a very weird trend of getting the same map way too many times in a row. Two days ago it was Rocky Roadway, yesterday Gangnam Streets (it was called?) and today it's Magma Cavern. Not to mention matchmaking is bugged when you queue a couple game modes at once (can't find a match) vs queuing one mode (can find a match)

I'd also love to see a small buff to the instant boosts after drifting. It feels so small atm that I'm not sure if I'm actually gaining an advantage on that.

Anyways yeah, my biggest complaints are the small playerbase (too many times I got to 6min queue and got cancelled), the punishing collision mechanics, the matchmaking and item mode being mostly useless.
  • TheHeavieKiwieTheHeavieKiwie
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 770

Yeah just like hypocratic said, that's true. The only thing that allows us to overtake is draft which requires us to be closer to them. Apart from that, there's nothing else.
    We may need some more mechanics that allows us to catch up to other players and give a good competition.

Right now, my favorite idea in my mind is shortcuts that open up exclusive to players who are falling behind so they can keep up with the race.
  • ThePencilWielderThePencilWielder
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 430
    You nailed all of the points. I really hope the developers consider this and make some changes. It's a game with tons of potential but poor execution.
  • BazziBazzi
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 210
    edited 10:51PM March 28, 2023
    Have been playing rush+ for three years and above the T1 records. TBH, though not as "linear" in turning and as easy to retain a drift angle as in rush+, KRD is okay with its core physics for beginners (Personally I more or less struggle with my muscle memory from rush+). What makes the game really hard to pick on are some weird and non-intuitive mechanisms:
    1. Not clear condition of instant boosts. In rush+ whenever you drift and counter drift you get at least one instant boost as long as you end the drift with the drift button. While in KRD, I often end with no instant boost when I pressed the drift button for too long to end a drift ( I am still not sure about the reason though ). This is very annoying when I'm starting off and try to build the first boost with two drifts; the absence of instant boosts has a butterfly effect as I fall behind at the beginning and have to avoid all kinds of accidents while moving up in position.
    2. Unknown restrictions of continuous drifting. When doing the so called "snake drifts" continuously, the steering sometimes stops responding and the kart just goes into the wall. In rush+, the restriction for continuous drifting is clearly addressed in a tutorial.
    3. Unknown condition of "fake drift". Fake drift is a feature known in the original Kartrider, which only happens when you start a drift without pressing the drift button (Yes, it's possible if your previous drift is close to "optimal"), and the nitro bar won't build up while the drift trace is shown. But in KRD I feel that fake drift happens in way more situations than I would expect. And I doubt this feature should exist in the first place.

In my opinion, what the game lacks most is appropriate tutorials. They don't even cover the most basic yet effective skill "short-full drift". Nexon probably underestimated the intensity new players face, and just placed a long list of very basic yet unhelpful license exams as they pushed to release. Hopefully they can address this issue in L2 and L1 licenses.
  • conscons
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 100
    This is an excellent post. However, I disagree with the aspects that will significantly deviate from the original. In the main markets of the game, I think we all know the top priority of Nexon is to make sure all KartRider original players will migrate to the new game. Attracting new players is their second priority.
    iMaple wrote: »
    Context, I played OG KR as a child and I've been playing KRD for about two weeks. Really liking the game so far, but instead of talking about the usual content/speed/ping gripes I wanted to talk about a worry I developed while playing with a friend:

Then you'll need to use the following techniques eventually:

- Short-Full Drifting
    - Snaking
    - Cutting
    - New Cutting
    - Cut Charging
    - Tap-Drifting (Maybe)

As mentioned above, there is a lack of online material (e.g. YouTube videos) to teach these skills. Even the official YouTube streams do not use these techniques. They are not hard to get started (not master) for someone who is actually interested in the game (just spend 20-30 min), but the official position of Nexon always appears to be to avoid teaching them because many were "bugs" of the original game (like chained boosts). You can see this in their license mode design in both the original and Drift. If Nexon wants new players to play Speed mode, this attitude needs to change. If there are no Western content creators to make these videos, Nexon needs to make them on their channel and make sure players are linked to those tutorials.