[New Racers] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: http://forums.kartrider.nexon.net/discussion/4/code-of-conduct

Competition in Item Mode

SmallerbeeSmallerbee
KartRider: Drift Rep: 1,060
Member, Administrator, Moderator, Nexon
edited 5:28PM January 9, 2023 in Gameplay Discussion
Hey Racers!

One of the reasons the KartRider series is so popular is the competition the community brings to the track. We all know how crazy and close races can get in Speed Mode, but what about Item Mode? Do you think there’s room for a competitive scene in a mode with randomness? Do you think there’s a way to make Item Mode more competitive, and is that something you’d like?

Comments

• WintermintPWintermintP
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 110
    edited 4:44PM July 12, 2022
    No. Randomness is what ultimately kills the viability of a player's skill and it's exactly what prevents a game from being a good competitive game. Especially this franchise's Item mode relies way too heavily on the luck of the players and not so much skill. No competitive game ever does that. If anything, Item mode should just be straight up ditched altogether. There should be no support for it, and it should straight up be removed from any and all KartRider games completely and permanently.
  • Blaues_DingBlaues_Ding
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 1,255
    No. Randomness is what ultimately kills the viability of a player's skill and it's exactly what prevents a game from being a good competitive game. Especially this franchise's Item mode relies way too heavily on the luck of the players and not so much skill. No competitive game ever does that. If anything, Item mode should just be straight up ditched altogether. There should be no support for it, and it should straight up be removed from any and all KartRider games completely and permanently.

Nope!

I'm playing item mode only and I know that a lot of players love to play this mode!
    I my eyes speed mode is boring but not unnecessary...

Item mode is made for having fun while playing instead of needing to set perfect laps for having a chance to win a race.

Yes there is a way that could make item mode more competetive...

If there would be a ranking list for "clans" or just an option for "clan races" with 2 or 4 players per clan.
    It could work like this...
    A clan leader will be followed by 1 or 3 members wihle searching for a new race. 2 or 4 slots will be given to this clan and the other 4 slots are free for other 2 or 4 player clans.
    If there's no match, the leader can start an internal clan race (2 or 4 single players) or open the race for individual players and start an 8 single player race with reservated slots by this clan.
  • lemonandlimelemonandlime
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 200
    edited 8:03PM September 8, 2022
    I've had quite a lot of crazy close calls/photo finishes, even ties in both speed and item mode. I do think RNG is usually detrimental to a competitive scene, but I think item mode could still make a case for it, especially in party mode since there is still some semblance of strategy and coordination involved. I disagree that item mode should be removed since many people love playing item mode, and since it's an option and not a forced race, people can choose whether they want to do it or stick with speed. Most of the friends I played with liked to switch back and forth.

I do think however that in singles, or even duo items, RNG gets significantly worse for a competitive environment since it becomes more like a twisted metal battle royale and would likely favor RNG much more than player ability. Some people like testing their luck though so hey, there's probably still a market for that too
  • WintermintPWintermintP
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 110
    edited 2:59AM September 14, 2022
    If there would be a ranking list for "clans" or just an option for "clan races" with 2 or 4 players per clan.
    It could work like this...
    A clan leader will be followed by 1 or 3 members wihle searching for a new race. 2 or 4 slots will be given to this clan and the other 4 slots are free for other 2 or 4 player clans.
    If there's no match, the leader can start an internal clan race (2 or 4 single players) or open the race for individual players and start an 8 single player race with reservated slots by this clan.

That kind of system would be much more effective for Speed. Just because it's "fun" for newer players it doesn't mean it can maintain any competitive integrity.

Any good competitive game should be like Chess. No randomness in the pieces' movements and no theoretical randomness. Just the players and their strategies and philosophies. Speed still has some RNG in the form of ping but other than that it's the closest thing we have to Chess.

Item mode, on the other hand, you can learn all the skills necessary in Item mode, such as drifting to face the other way to fire missiles toward the back or combo-drifting to run without nitro or learning to aim the bubbles so that you get the best combos or learning to properly place bananas or coordinating guardian angels and what have you, but ultimately, you're still at the mercy of the RNG of what item you end up with, and all those skills you learn in Item mode is STILL not going to save you.

All the more reason why Item mode should straight up be removed from the franchise altogether.

And yes, Item mode IS forced onto you until you reach B2, which "theoretically" "might" make sense IF THE LICENCE EVENTS WEREN'T STRAIGHT UP RIGGED! (I'm serious, the first event is pure RNG because there's no way to time your bubbles to line up as many cars as possible, the barricade event straight up drags your car into the barricades themselves and your narrow chokepoint is blocked by a barricade but you're bound to run out of shields before you even make it that far, half the controls don't even work properly and because of that you can't even execute short-nitros, and don't even get me started on the final race because the AI just rubberbands the daylights out of you and you have no way to get past it. And the AI problem was already mass-complained about since day one of Kartrider and it still hasn't been fixed in Rush+. Imagine having, like, the most expensive car in the game and you get body-slammed by some kid with a budget car that isn't supposed to do that.)

So, no. All the more reason why Item mode does NOT belong anywhere. PERIOD.

Also, seriously, for the love of everyone, just remove the entry restriction for Speed mode. It makes zero sense. Even the original Kartrider players play Speed exclusively anyway (at least the vast majority of them). You naysayers have no idea why this game is still being called a MarioKart clone and you also have no idea why players from the original Kartrider HATE Item mode. I was there. I've seen all of the mess. It's all the more reason why Item mode needs to just be removed from the game altogether.

So please, at the cost of having to repeat myself to death, get rid of Item mode. Seriously. You want this game to not get sued by Nintendo? The only way you can do that is to get rid of Item mode.
  • Blaues_DingBlaues_Ding
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 1,255
    edited 6:56AM September 15, 2022
    @ WintermintP
    There are only two things which are true... computer-"randomness" and that's useless to lock speed mode behind a license (with strange aims and boring duplications).
    That's all, but it could explain your frustration about item mode. You just need to get that (easy) license...

Item mode was fun in Mariokart on SNES and it was fun in NAKR.
    Yes it's different because it's a huge factor of luck and less of skills. But that's part of the fun not being able to win just because of your high skills like in speed mode.

You don't need to play item mode but you are
    completely wrong with your thoughts about it...

I even don't say "get rid of speed mode", if you don't like item mode -> just keep calm and stay away from it!

Back to topic...

For mor competition in item mode you need to allow friendly fire im team races because there you have to use items wisely
  • AlitaAngleAlitaAngle
    KartRider: Drift Rep: 135
    Cancel change function! Keep exchange function! In POP I, The front is a big and terrible influence in Item Mode. You can use it until the item you want, this mean cost money and unbalanced. And the rear is good all the time, everyone can get the same lucky in this item mode that makes fun.
    That's magic of item mode,
    In the end, I have 4 advice to share:
    1、Stop running "POP I" in every country and change it to POP II, the value account in POP I which can make same value things or items in POP II(such as car/character)
    2、Good network in every station(PC PS PHONE)
    3、Some windows are inconvenient in game, for example: ——social communicate window/group——car/character change window/group
    4、Global competition is necessary and huge importance.